My photo
rough-draft of a lady

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Farewell, Austin!


I am leaving Austin a few days from today. I wish I were the 13 year-old girl who once wrote endlessly about her experiences and the meanings she found in them. I am not, but I miss that freedom.

While I am certain that Austin is not the city for me, I do not regret the move in the least. I had no hesitation when I arrived to town. I had already gone through and subscribed to all the local club listings. I had my favorite spots scoped out from visits to town in the past years, and I was quick to take recommendations from friends. I completely understand why people in Austin are SO proud to live here.

My favorite place to see music in Austin is undoubtedly the Continental Club. Everything is red inside. I love the chic but dive-y. I love Sarah, the hot, tattooed waitress that rolls her eyes at customers when they block the service station.

The first night I was officially out to take in some Austin music, was on a Sunday. I went to Momo's to see Warren Hood. He is quite the talent. Momo's has a sweet patio where you can see and hear the music pretty well, too. A friend said that the Sunday night thing to do was to head over to the Continental afterward for Heybale! (the exclamation is part of the name.)

It was already after 11, but I am so glad that I went. I can sum up
the why with these two words: Redd Volkaert. He, along with all the band members in Heybale! are incredible. I have gone out to see Redd play several times since coming to town. I will let the links provide more related info.

Another spot for great Austin music is the Saxon Pub. The first thing I noticed was how nice the room sounds. I went on a Monday night to hear Matt the Electrician. Matt and his band put on a great show. It is a weekly residency that I wish I would have gone out for a few more times before leaving town. I tried again but I did not know he was out on a tour. I ended up staying to hear Bob Schneider. What a scene! The chicks dig Bob. He is a good songwriter. perhaps a little too pop to move me, but solidly good.

I went to see Randy Weeks on a few occasions. My new pal, Killer, told me to check him out. I like him a lot. He has great songs, a cool voice and he is fun to see play live. In certain songs he reminded me of Jimmy Ryan. I think it was his vocal style in some of his songs. You will probably appreciate Weeks at least as much as I do. Lucinda Williams covered his song, "Can't Let Go," on Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.

Tonight I went out to the Continental for the last time (while living in TX) to see Planet Casper, then to Stubb's for the Coveters.

I had never heard of Robyn Ludwick until I saw her perform with Casper. I reminded myself of her name again and again so that I could come home and find out more about her music. This discovery was the highlight, since I was not feeling much connective energy from the Coveters. Maybe I needed to give them more than three songs... or maybe it just isn't my thing.

Goodnight, Austin.


xo

0 comments:

Contact