My photo
rough-draft of a lady

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Anne, Antje, and One Longfellow Square



Even after my throat started aching from the laughter and chatter, I kept right on going. I am now safely home at 2am.


Tonight I went to Portland, Maine for a concert at One Longfellow Square. I joined my friends, Ellen, Anne, Frank, and Antje for a gig. It was a tight fit in Antje's car with just the necessary instruments, though I am grateful that we made the occasion festive by traveling together.

Running an hour late for sound check, we eventually arrived to Portland in great spirits. I felt the beginnings of what might turn into some much needed holiday cheer. The venue was well above average in the singer-songwriter scheme of things, I would say. We pulled up in front to unload, and saw posters from previous bills, along with an impressive blown-up one of Antje. (I was quite happy that Sam Amidon was among the posters, he is a current favorite among us at 952.) The outside trees were lighted turquoise, and decorated with spheres in white. I have a fondness for great lighting, and it only got better once inside the building. It was an active yet calming environment. There were candles lit, unique light fixtures, and flowing drapes throughout the space. It made for some lovely photos.

We set up the merch while the very kind staff at One Longfellow showed us the menus for the Thai restaurant across the street. I enjoyed some scrumptious drunken noodles with shrimp and a beer, as Anne took the stage for her set. She did an awesome (unplanned) version of her song, Underdog, that seemed to delight the already praise-worthy audience. At the intermission a handsome, perhaps too-young man, walked right up to her and said, "I think I am in love with you," in a serious tone that I was slightly unnearved by. You might call it sweet.

Antje's set was very satisfying, it had been a while since I had seen her play. I can earnestly say that I expect her upcoming release to be among the best of 2009. I have a feeling that her choice of Richard Shindell as producer is right-on for the new songs. In-love looks ridiculously good on Antje- and sounds great to the ears.

The audience cleared out and our tired pack lounged about the venue for a while. Frank and Ellen entertained with some amazing/hilarious Jewish-New Yoker accents. When Ellen gets to being silly, that is my favorite time. The ride home became such the drowsy laugh-in, I could not even mind taking the last shift as driver... (I am pretty sure this whole entry is going to need a rewrite!)

0 comments:

Contact