My photo
rough-draft of a lady

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"You Could Do Alright For a Song"


It is coming up on the anniversary of the benefit that Club Passim generously hosted for our film project. It will be two years on October 25! It is hard for me to believe that so much time has passed, yet I am grateful for all of the learning and experiences that I have gained in just that time.

Along with my friend Brian Schwartz, I filmed interviews with our friend Matt Smith, Manager of Club Passim, and beloved singer-songwriters, Jennifer Kimball and Sean Staples.

Lacking financial resources and free time, the project has been on the dreaded back burner for too long.

The good news is that during these past years, my LOVE of LOCAL, INDEPENDENT artists has only been nurtured a zillion times over by witnessing hundreds of live shows in our adored, musical neighborhood. A (very long) film exists in complete form in this head of mine. And if you are thinking that might not be sufficient, I agree.

My experiences have shaped my ideas a lot since we began filming, and so that means that there is still A LOT OF WORK to be done. More interviewing of course, but most importantly, I am dreaming of a session where I gather a few up-and-coming artists with some serious live music fans, to talk about this extraordinary community we are living in, ON FILM. A long table, a big circle, whatever. A few cameras, and a lot of admiration for all the guts that were spilled at places like Toad, the Burren, the Lizard Lounge, Atwood's, Club Passim... and so many other bars and listening rooms we have witnessed over the years.

Let's face it, some of our favorite musicians end up going out-of-pocket on gigs, or not getting paid, of getting paid $15 bucks for playing 4 hours of music. Some people earn a living at it, and some laugh at the idea of that ever happening- but most everyone is playing because of what they get out of playing music with their friends, their community. For fun.

The next videos I am posting to my channel are of two of my favorite musicians and people on the planet. Jennifer Kimball's work has been wowing the masses for a good long time. I will go and watch her perform any chance I get. I have said to many friends, no matter how sad a song it is, Jennifer Kimball cheers me up.



And if you know me, or read any previous posts on this blog, you will know how I feel about Tim Gearan. This video is Tim and Duke Levine performing one of my favorite of Tim's songs, "Little Hollywood." Enjoy!



0 comments:

Contact