My photo
rough-draft of a lady

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sean Staples: Joy Comes Back


Friends of Sean Staples gathered to celebrate his 40th Birthday last night in Cambridge.

As we waited to surprise Sean at Atwood's, Matt Smith told me of a time where Sean played solo gigs in town, long before I would become so endeared to him, his voice and songs.

Dwelling on the opposite side of the Charles, I missed seeing Sean with the Vinal Avenue String Band, and when he played Jesus in Jesus Has Two Mommies. But it was not long after that I found one of my favorite local musicians in him.

It was among the chaos and delight that is Session Americana when I first noticed the glittery brilliance (that's right) that Sean exudes when he plays songs. He sings so quietly about love lost, as abruptly about cocaine- ridiculously in his element in a group of natural artists like Session.

I always hope that he knows the value of his existence in the community. All the stages I watch him perform on with his bands or while accompanying other songwriters, it would not be as great- we would not love it as hard without Sean.

Sean was one of the first people we interviewed for the OAOMA film project. He spent hours telling us about his history in the scene, and through him I have gained a wealth of knowledge about the people and places that make up my prized association- living among their songs and sounds. Invigorating and restful, live music is home... Sean Staples is a major piece of the puzzle.

As I looked around the bar at the Birthday celebration, I felt so grateful to be among Sean's family, band-mates and friends alike. With the help of Atwood's staff, the crowd rallied together for a reunion-style group photo. I watched everyone gathering around Sean and the world looked so beautiful right then.

A hard day, a hard month- but I am reminded how JOY COMES BACK.

Here is Paula Gearan's fuzzy iPhone video of Tim, Lou Ulrich, and Sean performing Sean's song,
Joy Comes Back.

Happy Birthday, Sean!!!! (dec 5)

1 comments:

Allison Soriano said...

It is such an amazing talent to be able to fill your listeners with hope and love for life. I can't wait to come and visit and soak it up!!

Contact