My photo
rough-draft of a lady

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

You say Potato, I say Cayamo

Before Cayamo, if asked to go on a cruise- actually live on a boat for a week, no would be my simple response. Only for the love of Patty Griffin did I jump at the chance to go out to sea, facing the worst of my childhood imaginings.

Some of my male cousins have tattoos of the praying-hands of Jesus, or rose covered crucifixes- I have a little kite tattoo on the back of my neck. The kite represents a song of Patty's, from her record, Impossible Dream. (My grandma loved the Virgin Mary, my mom loved Elvis- like them, I am lovingly devout.)

Cayamo is an event put on by Sixthman. I like what it says on their website about their goal, Our mission is to connect passionate music lovers with the artists and bands they love as well as the ones they have yet to discover. Our goal is to break down walls between our artists, fans, and partners to invent unique experiences that cater to our community's infinite affinities.

Lyle Lovett and Shawn Colvin were among other headliners returning to Cayamo after the 2008 debut. Having seen countless killer shows, and having visited several beautiful beaches last year, I could find no reason not to return to do it again. I was joined by some of music-loving friends, and it did not get old to spend day after day watching great musicians perform their songs. (and getting to order every single desert off the dinner menu every night)

I did not discover any new artists, but I did get to see Darrell Scott for the first time. I had heard good things, and I knew I was very late to the table when it came to hearing his work. From what I understand, Darrell was a choice of Buddy Miller's for Cayamo- though Buddy himself did not make it on the boat due to a recent medical setback. I only heard a few songs from Scott in-between attending other shows going on at the same time, but I am definitely going to try to see him when he gets back to the Boston area again. (also, if we get Buddy and Darrell on Cayamo 2010, that would be grand.)

It seems among my companions, Kathleen Edwards was a favorite. I am a fan from years back, but getting to see her do 3 shows in a week, is still a thrill. It may just be how I am when I like something, but I like her songs so much, that every time she plays, it is like hearing her for the first time. I imagine that even very talented artists can find it difficult to set themselves apart from their contemporaries, a girl with a guitar is not a rare creature. She has a distinctive voice, and to-the-point lyrics. Kathleen is the best at rocking out, while still getting hold of you in an intimate way. Yeah, special. When we heard that Kathleen was coming on Cayamo, I asked my friend Gilly, what are they going to do next, give us all a million dollars?

Probably the best thing about a vacation like this, is seeing how many people there are who listen to songwriters, and not just pop music icons. The kind of fans who clap for banjo solos, who listen intently to the quietest songs. Fans who know the release dates of a dozen new albums- and who read all the liner notes. We stand together in lines as if there were a new Star Wars movie coming out. The wait is part of the song.

0 comments:

Contact